Founded in 1897, Schewels Home is one of the oldest furniture retailers in the United States. It all started when our ancestor, Elias Schewel, began peddling chairs door to door in Lynchburg, Virginia. Elias expanded his business by allowing his customers to pay back over time, and by serving all members of the community regardless of their race or religion.
Currently, Schewels Home is owned and operated by Marc and Jack Schewel, the fourth generation of the family, and Matt Schewel, the fifth generation.
Over the years, we've grown to 50 locations throughout Virginia, West Virginia and North Carolina.
Although many things have changed over time, our mission has stayed the same: to provide affordable home furnishings and exceptional customer service to generations of families.
Our vision is to be the premier destination for home furnishings in the communities we serve - where everyone wants to shop and everyone wants to work.
We have achieved success over the years by adhering to six core values:
1. Integrity: Demonstrate honesty, respect and trust in everything we do.
2. Customer Focus: Go above and beyond to provide an exceptional customer experience.
3. Family: Treat our customers and employees like family.
4. Commitment to Employees: Provide employees with opportunities to grow personally and professionally in an enjoyable work environment with great benefits.
5. Teamwork: Work together for a common goal.
6. Community: Give back to the communities that have made our business great.